Private Property Enforcement
As a property owner, you may authorize the Chief of the West Melbourne Police Department and any of his duly appointed officers or agents, to act as your agent in cases of a threat to public safety or welfare. This Enforcement Affidavit is in force until rescinded in writing by the owner or their designee. You will need to complete the Private Property Enforcement Affidavit (PDF), have it notarized (a service we can provide) and submit it to the police department. If you have any questions please email Patrol Division Administrative Assistant.
The owner/custodian statement of the Private Property Enforcement Affidavit reads:
- I, owner or custodian of the property mentioned above, hereby empower the Chief of the West Melbourne Police Department and any of his duly appointed officers or agents, to act as my agent in cases of a threat to public safety or welfare as follows:
- Officers are granted permission to enter onto this property for the purpose of enforcing criminal violations or patrol, and
- Officers are authorized to act on my behalf in enforcing any criminal violation that occurs upon or against this property. I do wish to prosecute person(s) who commit these offenses, and
- Officers are granted permission to enforce trespass laws on my property, and may post no trespassing sign(s), give no trespassing warnings, and arrest any persons who do trespass upon this property. I will inform the West Melbourne Police Department in writing of anyone who has permission to be on this property, and
- Further, I authorize said officers to testify in court on my behalf in any criminal prosecution for trespass laws or criminal law violations.
- I understand that this limited authority does not obligate the West Melbourne Police Department to patrol for or at any specific time or location.
Traffic Enforcement on Private Roads
Traffic Enforcement on private roads (such as those in gated communities) must be agreed upon between the development and the City Council of West Melbourne. An Agreement With Respect to Traffic Enforcement of Private Roads must be completed by the development’s designee and signed by the Mayor. This agreement is in effect until terminated by either party at any time, with or without cause, by delivering a written notice with at least 14 days notice. Please contact the Police Department to receive a blank copy of the agreement.